Hobs and Bandsaw Milling
CNC grinding of hobs and bandsaw milling cutters involves the flute sharpening of cylindrical or tapered OD bandsaw milling cutters. The flutes may either be straight or helical; and the cutters may be right or left-handed. CNC grinding provides increased productivity, precision and operating convenience with simplified programming. Also, use of a high pressure coolant offers increased accuracy, performance and tool life.
- Bandsaw milling cutters are mounted on an arbor and secured in the machine between a hydraulic tail stock and pneumatic chuck.
- An integrated probe is used to check the axial and radial position of the tool. A standard CBN (plated or resin bond) dish wheel is used.
- Actual cycle times depend on stock removal and tool geometry. Cycle times for standard sizes are as little as seven minutes.
Features and Benefits
- Available on the Huffman HS-150 and HS-190 series grinding machines.
- Five CNC axes are used (three linear, two rotary).
- Optional Huffman GUI offers sequential programming, graphical display and on-screen prompts.
- Rugged construction enhances system precision, durability and up- time.
- Optional scale feedback (linear and rotary axes) for increased accuracy.
- Available with integrated wheel truing.
- Cycle times are significantly lower than other resharpening choices/ methods.
- Higher machine accuracy produces better part geometry resulting in longer tool life and better part quality.