In the manufacturing or regrinding of round broaches, CNC grinding produces an accurate tooth profile and improves broach performance. CNC resharpening removes a controlled amount of material from each tooth, extending the life of the tool. Sizes range from rifle broaches (.5" (13 mm) diameter, 24" (610 mm) long) to button and spiral broaches (6" (152 mm) diameter, 96" (2438 mm) long).
- Round broaches are mounted between centers and dogged. The integrated contact probe is used for determining the broach location and for verifying the first tooth and pitch spacing. These individual locations are then used by the grinding program for positioning the grinding wheel.
- A single wheel setup is required for broach resharpening (gullets only).
- A dual wheel setup is required for broach manufacturing (gullets and OD).
Machine Features and Benefits
- Available on the Huffman series grinding systems. For larger parts, models determined by part size.
- A contact probe is used for determining broach location in either a manufacturing or regrind application. For regrinding only, the probe is used for locating the first tooth and for verifying pitch spacing. For manufacturing, only the broach location is required.
- The A-axis and tailstock are necessary for either resharpening or manufacturing.
- B and C axes are available as manual axes or under CNC control.
- An optional integrated wheel truing system is available.
- Chipbreakers are available as an option.