Z-notch welding on low pressure turbine blades is a precision application of hardface material to the Z interlock area. This process also repairs the knife edge seal and mate face.
- Parts can be OEM castings or engine repair parts.
- Laser powder fusion welding with vision system.
- Multi-axis capability allows full part completion with one setup.
- Vision system locates the part, adjusts for differences, and provides CNC program.
- Precise deposition of material allows for minimum postprocessing.
- Hardface material such as Stellite, Coastmetal 64 or T800 - also, applicable materials for mate faces and knife edge seals.
- Depends upon blade configuration and material added. Typically cycle time is 2 minutes.
Machine Features & Benefits
- Laser powder fusion welded on a five-axis machine.
- Vision/CNC controlled to minimize operator variance.
- Simple setup and changeover to different parts.
- High production rate, near net shaped welds.
- Potential mate face and knife edge seal repair in same operation.